Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Purim


I am so mad at myself. I just ruined a great Jewish holiday for my daughter. Today is Purim and we were supposed to be at Temple at 5:30. The kids dress up in costumes and the Rabbi, in costume, tells the story of Queen Esther saving the Jewish people from Haman the bad guy. Every time he says Haman, the kids shake their groggers or noisemakers, and have so much fun. They parade around in their costumes, and this year they were even having a magician. Well, she made her noisemaker Sunday and I bought her a crown for her Queen Esther costume (most little girls dress as Queen Esther) and was excited and ready to go. Well today I had a staff meeting after work until 4, and then picked up my girl at the after school daycare and then a pizza only thinking about coming home and eating and trying to clean my house for my parents visit this weekend. Purim was until 7:00, and at 6:49, I remembered. When it was too late to even be late. My daughter cried for ten minutes and then so did I. She is so mad at me she wouldn’t even hug me good night, and I am so mad at myself. We missed the holiday that is the most fun of the year, and as she said 50 times – now we have to wait 365 days for it to happen again. This mistake I can’t fix, I can’t buy my way out, I can’t change the dates, can’t rent the movie or read the book, I can’t do anything. I can’t even find the bright side, I’m too tired, and I feel like shit. All I can do is suck as a mom. Maybe the bright side is that I’m sure all of you had a much better Purim than I did.

No comments: