Friday, April 25, 2008

Happy Earth Day

We hope everyone had a Happy Earth Day! We didn’t do much this year, except did not drive the car. Last year I decided to do all of the laundry in the tub and hang it out back. I did not go to that extreme this year, because it took all day. We are however using the cold water setting at the laundrymat. It is not the same but definitely took less human energy and a lot less water. I am thinking about making a compost bin soon. We also bought cool T-shirts made out of recycled plastic bottles made by Coca-Cola. They are 48% plastic bottles and 52% cotton. It says in my shirt that it contains approximately 3 - 20 ounce plastic bottles. The shirts are cute and comfy, we bought matching shirts (I’m a huge geek) pink that say Recycling is Hot. We love our new shirts.
I don’t love that the extra large shirt is tight around my middle. I am grateful to be alive, but I wish this weight gain would stop. I have gained 30 pounds since surgery and can’t wait to start the reverse process. At least I am not going over the 30. I had my thyroid levels checked today, so I will let you know when the labs come back. Once I am regulated, the weight should hopefully start to come off. I am hungry, grumpy, and emotional... Grrr. But alive... Yayyy. But grumpy... Grrr. But alive... Yayyy.
The mosquito net money is off! She was able to purchase two nets. If people bring her more, we’ll send that in too. She went to our Temple and proudly gave the money from her can to the lovely secretary. There is huge magnetic board that people are sticking squares of screen onto for each donation. The board is almost filled up. My sixth graders that I teach on Sundays donated three nets two Sundays ago, with their tzedakah money too. What was really nice is that she has two letters she can fill in and send out to someone that her donation was made in their name. I’m sure Grammy and Grandpa will be getting a letter soon...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weight gain was to be expected. Believe me, it will go back to normal. I'm a retired R.N. I've seen those cases. Take care. Thank you for the music.

Geoff. said...

You must be a proud Mum to have such a caring child. Earth Day wasn't even news here, I've never heard of it. Strange really, because we're proud of being a clean, green, nuclear-free nation. Take care, and Claudia's right, don't worry about the weight thing--alive is good.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you don't have Earth Day over there. It started in the U.S. but I thought it was worldwide. Perhaps you can start something!